Thursday, October 25, 2012

Aloha gods, goddesses, mermaids and mermen,

In advance, pardon any of my grammar errors or anything. I'm so excited I can't even be bothered to re-read this (like any of my other posts ahha. Sorry, I suck) Anyways...Today I went to Hana!!!!!!!!!!! I had today and will have Saturday off this week so I asked Cindy to join me on this crazy adventure, which I've been dying to take. The "Road to Hana" is one of the most famous tourist attractions on the island and they say that one of the most beautiful part about it is the journey. There's even a saying about how if you try to rush and speed to Hana, you're missing the point because the journey is one of the most integral parts of getting to the final destination. There are hundreds of 'secret spots' but because I'm not spending a week in Maui, we went to some of the more popular and well known places once we got there. I was really set on hiking to Red Sand beach, seeing Black Sand beach and at least seeing a couple of waterfalls. There is so much that you can do in Hana you can get totally overwhelmed and almost "miss" the entire trip. Even if you only drive down to Hana and back, its totally worth it. There are 54 bridges and the entire road is 56 miles of winding road, climbing and descending along the shore and coast of volcanic rock, driving through plantations, small towns, towering forests, beautiful waterfalls and miles upon miles of beaches. The drive itself is incredible and you have no service, so you're totally alone in nature. Unbelievable. There are vines dripping into the road, and your overhead canopy is amazing. Honestly, what a treat for my eyes! 

I live in Haiku, so Hana is only about 40 miles away. I thought it would take maybe an hour, but it ended up almost taking 2 and a half! You seriously drive 25 miles an hour and feel like you're going 100. The road is only one laned at some parts, there are tons of bridges, and the weather tends to be super wet. I guess thats what you get when you're in the rainforest. Cindy came over to the Mill at around 9am and we set on our way. Twin Falls is one of the first things on the way into Hana and it was so packed. I had been there with Clarissa prior, but it was CRAZY today. There were so many cars in the lot and tons more parked on the shoulder of the road! Wild. Also, I saw a man riding on his horse in the middle of the street...just casually, like it was the most normal thing in the entire world. Anyways, we continued on this one laned highway into Hana. Cindy pointed out these absolutely BEAUTIFUL Rainbow Eucalyptus trees as the road began to wind and turn. They are funky colored and unlike anything I've ever seen! Oh my goodness, so beautiful. We had the windows rolled down to take in everything and it was probably the most pure smelling "Earth" ever. So natural, so untouched, so real. Oh! One of the first signs I saw when we entered Hana was their welcome sign: "Welcome to Hana: The land of low lying clouds". How cute is that! Cindy said something about how this is what Maui used to look like hundreds and hundreds of years ago. I've never seen something so natural. It really is spectacular. There are tons of waterfalls on the sides of the roads, its super lush and out of this world beautiful. I wish I could do it justice. I think that everyone should see it once in their life. Absolutely outside of this world.

On the way home, we left pretty early so there was no one driving yet. We got to have the entire road to Hana to ourselves (for the most part)!!! So amazing, we got to see the road completely bare. I don't think many get the opportunity to drive and honestly be alone with all that nature. It's crazy. I can't even find words to describe it. Otherworldly, maybe. I truly felt like I don't even live in this 'Hana world'...it's like a completely new world to me and something that I never knew existed. A beautiful garden of the world, perfectly manicured in its own perfect way, in the middle of the Pacific. Anyways, we got back and I turn to Cindy as the road began to turn straight and go "Weren't we just in Hana?". Craaazy. 







What was so funny? Seriously, what possibly could have been so funny?
A normal looking picture.
The greenery is so luscious and so beautiful. I'm such a happy person here!
 Waterfall!

 Random times during the drive I would randomly combust and scream out something that I saw. I was literally yelling "OH MY GOD, NEEDLE TREES!". I was making no sense.

 The tea leaves are the purple in this... I love their color
 We were driving in the jungle for a while before we saw water. Breathtaking.
 African violets blossoming! They're Cindy's favorite. Also, they are the PERFECT Hermes orange. I think I have an idea where they got their inspiration...

 Once we got into Hana, we decided to go to Wainanapanapa first. This canopy of trees is the entrance to the beach and the park. Unbelievable.

 Some man jumped in the water, scaled that island of rocks and cliffs and was trying to climb to the point on the right side of the picture. He must have been a nut! The water was incredibly beautiful. Such a deep blue against all the volcanic rock.
 REAL LIFE?! NO (...yes)

Cindy's pic

Some really DUMB tourists were all the way down in the blowhole. How ridiculous. Honestly, if there was any serious wave that crashed into the rock they could kill themselves. Why would anyone do that?! Ah.

 We went down to Black Sand Beach, saw a lava tube and obviously decided that was the best place for us to crawl into. Had a really small opening but once you got inside it was huge! I was entirely too tall for this cave entrance. It wasn't going to stop me!
My mug LOL.

 Cindy coming into the cave! Look how big it is on the inside!!
Yeah, I'm walking around with a coffee mug. Bite me.

 Black Sand Beach! They really should call it Black Pebble Beach but whatever. Also, really I need to stop doing that funny leg thing.
 Waterfalls!
 After that, we left to go to Hana Bay to grab lunch. There was this place written about in Maui Revealed called Tutu's so we went there. I had this SLAMMIN' shredded pork. Oh Jeeezus, take me to the luau! I'm ready for the Emu Pig!!

I got a new swimsuit from Tamara Catz! Wish it was white, but hey it was FREE99 from doing that modeling for her. Works for me. Also, its totally different. I would never buy something like this. I think I like it though...
 Cindy really put it into perspective for me. She goes "Were on the coast of a volcano, eating lunch on the ocean...Like thats the ocean all the way to Alaska". WOW.


Anyways, after that we left for Hamoa Beach which is the most popular beach on the island. They are super popular for bodysurfing and boogie boarding but the water is super dangerous. There was a CRAZY stand up surfer on a paddle board. He was killllllling it!

Sometimes I can look really attractive. This may have been one of my finer moments. 

Aww!

...and this one too. Cindy really managed to catch my sexy face here. We got a couple good ones but honestly, I look beautiful. I thought this was most suiting. Also, how pretty is the greenery in the background! I wasn't too sure if I was digging this swimsuit, but now I think I really like it. Something new.
Damn it Cindy. I want this exact shot. You look so good! LOVEEEEEEEEE THIS.

 Cindy with the selfie. HAY BOO! She's so funny. She told me a story about how when she was younger her alias was "Helvetica Fonte" and "Charlamagne Bold" ....like the fonts. That was the name she gave people when she didn't want them to know who she was. LOLOLOL. Do you think I could be Lucida Sans?
 I constantly look at pictures and wonder, what in the hell was going through my mind at this moment? This was one of them. What is going on?!
 Black, red and white sand! How cool! I couldn't find any Bikini Blonde and we all know I like my Bud Light...whatever, it's not like its Natty or Keystone. Bleeeeech.
 OH! I am going Hang Gliding on Monday in Hana! They weren't open on Wednesdays (today) so I scheduled Monday at 2:30 which means I have to do this entire trip by myself on Monday. I'm kind of excited to be alone in Hana. I think it'll be really cool to just be in this crazy natural place alone with my thoughts. Anyways,  I didn't really have too much of an idea what hang gliding was but I knew I wanted to do it so I just went and booked it. While perusing Maui Revealed on the beach, they had this HUGE full page picture of a hang glider with the instructor. That will be me on Monday. SHOOTZ. If I have no blog post on Monday evening, call the Maui Police and send a search and rescue team (Sarah, you better be on it. People, seriously call the police if there is no post...or at least my mother). I am so excited!!! How sweet is that going to be?! 
 After that, we decided to go to Hamoa Beach. When we were walking down, we saw this gorgeous plant growing out of the rock. I thought that was so incredible that a flower would be able to grow out of a rock!



Then we left and decided we were going to go home because we weren't wearing proper shoes to go on any hikes (unfortunately) :( 
Obvs managed to catch a few more pictures on the way home. It's so beautiful, seriously I wanted to take a picture of everything. I wish my eyes could take pictures. This place was so beautiful!

 I look so natural here! My hair is doing its own thing. Whatever. Smiles are what reeeeallly matters.
 We parked the car to get some pictures with the Eucalyptus trees and Cindy saw someone she knew. SERIOUSLY?! In Hana?! The island social life is small.
 Forest of Rainbow Eucalyptus trees! In order to get this picture I had to crawl under barbed wire. Who am I? Where did this woman who crawls under barbed wire come from?
 hahaha. I love this picture of Cindy. Look how empty the road is!


I must have thrown the shaka out to every person who was in a local car. Cindy throwing it out there!


FUNNY STORY:
So as we were driving back home, scaling the cliffs and whatnots, I saw the most BEAUTIFUL background for a photo. The whole drive is beautiful for any photos but whatever, I saw something and had to have it. Anyways, I turned to Cindy and went "I'm going to run down the hill to the bottom and try to get a picture of me with all the green surrounding me" and chuck my phone at her. She literally had her mouth open ready to say "whaaa" but I was already out of the car and running down the hill. Anyways, pictures below...

 Running! It wasn't too far or anything, but definitely not close. ahaha.


 Still running. ahhaha running across a bridge! See me on the left? Little white dot.  I think Cindy is super zoomed here. But seriously, one car was coming my way bahahahhahaa. I was getting this freaking picture!

Made it to where I wanted the picture! Do you see that little white dot? Thats me! Also, I think this picture is zoomed. But it was a good effort? I really tried! I know Cindy must have been DYING when she just saw me literally running on the Road to Hana. Best part, when I got down there I was yelling up to Cindy "GET OUT OF THE CAR AND TAKE MY PICTURE!" lol. I wasn't expecting her to take pictures of me running but that is so hilarious. 

AND THE BEST PART!!!! I HAVE TWO (super short) VIDEOS FROM THE WAY TO HANA!! They're short...maybe a minute or less each, but totally worth it for a quick peek if you're interested...








Well, we made it home. We met her husband, Jason, for dinner at Colleen's and the same gentleman that bought my dinner a while ago, bought it again! This guy comes in and chooses a different table to buy their dinner to pay it forward. Cindy and Jason are now convinced he is interested in me and is just constantly buying my dinner. LOL. It's only been twice! But even so, what a thoughtful and easy gesture to make someone's day. Thank you so much man I don't know! You've made my evening again!



With warmest aloha,

MJ



No comments:

Post a Comment